Dear America: Do whatever

Nobody is watching

Michael Zibell, Staff Writer

No one cares about you except you and your parents. When you are out in public and your secret favorite song comes on, don’t fight the urge to break out into song and dance.  The instant thoughts of “ what if they think I’m weird.”

Lemme break something to you. No one is paying attention to you or cares about what you are doing. It’s all in our heads.

We think everybody is paying attention to us because we are the main character in our own story; however every single person is living their own lives that are just as in depth as our own. This is known as Sonder, the realization that every random passerby is living a life just as vivid and complex as your own.  They are the main characters in their own lives. 

When we do something “embarrassing” or out of the ordinary it is our natural way to immediately look around to see if anyone saw. Even if they did, why would it matter? What would change?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Wear whatever you want because besides a quick glance no one is going to do anything about it. No one is paying  enough attention to you for it to make any difference in how your day is going. The world does not revolve around you, you just think it does.  

Think about it from your point of view, you pass thousands of people and how many of them do you pay attention too, maybe three? A person or two may catch your interest and even with that you often forget about it 30 seconds later and go on with your day.  We spend our time worrying about what others think of us so much, and we don’t get to live the life we want to live.

This needs to change. 

Life is too short to waste your time being someone else. Everyone else is already taken. Live the way you want to live. Do the things you want to do. What is the point in living a life filled with fake placeholder emotions and activities? If you enjoy something, do it. If you are sad or mad it is ok to show your emotions. In today’s world it is as if emotions are frowned upon, when in reality most of the frowning is coming from ourselves because no one else cares if you cry. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t let anything hold you back. Do what you love.

This is my final assignment of my high school career and I do not know what the future will hold for me. That said I know that I can pursue whatever path I choose without judgement as this world is so big with so many people. I’ll just be another brick in the wall if I don’t go on my own path.

Go on your own path. Every other path is already in use. Be yourself, everyone else is taken.  You can do whatever you can put your mind to, so go do it.