What is the Best Holiday?

The best holiday HAS to be Christmas.

Whimsy Soul

“Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.” –John Boswell

Sarah Mendoza, Staff Writer

With the holiday season right around the corner, I’m interested in everybody’s opinion on different holidays. I recently sent out a Google form asking what people’s favorite holiday is and why.

Let’s take a look at the responses:

Christmas was the obvious winner with 66.7% of people voting for it. Halloween was runner-up with 12.9% of people voting for it. With 9.7% of people voting on it, Thanksgiving comes in third. The other small numbers of votes are the 4th of July, Super Mario Day, January 25th (Aubrey’s birthday), IHOP National Pancake Day, Christmas eve, and New Year’s Eve/Day.

Many people said they enjoyed Christmas because they get to spend time with family and friends, receive presents, and it creates so many special moments. Lots of people also said that just the overall feeling of Christmas is enjoyable, which actually makes sense.

With all the decorations that get put up around town, the music that comes along with it, and of course a good amount of snow, it always puts people in the spirit.

Christmas was the clear winner, taking almost 67% of the votes (Sarah Mendoza)

Personally, I think that Christmas is overall just a good time of year. The aesthetic that gets created in December and the many weeks leading up to the special day are truly magical. Going to get a Christmas tree, decorating, listening to music, baking, and going outside in the snow are all things that remind me of Christmas. And as we know, Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year.

If I had to choose the best holiday, I would pick Christmas. But, there are still other holidays that would be a close runner-up.

Halloween came in second on the vote which I think is a respectable position for the holiday. Lots of people said they liked Halloween because it’s during fall which is possibly the best season. They also said they get lots of candy for free.

Another popular reason that people chose Halloween had a bit of a double meaning to me. Students said they got to dress up without people judging them. This can partially show how much others impact one another.

I spoke to one of my friends and they said that on Halloween they feel like they don’t get judged when they dress up in their costumes. Rather than on other days when they feel as though people are constantly looking at them.

The fact that we feel like this is one of the only times of the year when we can’t be judged is pretty disappointing. Kids shouldn’t feel like they can finally express themselves on this one night a year; they should feel accepted to do this at any time.

Another portion of the vote was for Thanksgiving. Many people said they chose Thanksgiving because you can enjoy a nice dinner with your family.

Other reasons why people think Thanksgiving is the best holiday are that you don’t need to worry about getting presents for people and you can watch football all day.

With the results from the poll and my own personal opinion, I believe that Christmas is the best holiday.

So, what is the best holiday?