Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

Whats the difference between vacation and traveling ?

Vacation and traveling can look different for many different people.
Taking+beautiful+pictures+of+the+sky+while+flying+over+different+countries+
Jahaira Castillo
Taking beautiful pictures of the sky while flying over different countries

Traveling and going on vacation are two completely different things. According to Spend Life Traveling a vacation is a leave of absence from a regular occupation.

Traveling is more about discovering different cultures and expanding your horizon. Many people confuse traveling with vacation for many reasons.

Vacations are known for relaxing but until what point is that true? 

Going on vacation may seem different for many people, but what I do know is that when people do go on vacation it’s mostly somewhere you have been before and you and your family love going. Sure, that is great but only to a certain extent. 

Going on “vacation” with my whole family in Roatan, Honduras, in 2021

I know for many kids who aren’t old enough to travel by themselves can experience some stressful vacations.

These trips could be visiting family, and I’m know that visit can get hectic especially if you have younger siblings or cousins.

Having little kids running around screaming is not an ideal vacation to me and I’m sure to many of you.

From personal experience, having younger cousins or even siblings means you’re babysitting everywhere you go. This is so the parents have time to themselves and to relax. 

That is great but what about yourself and your time to relax? That defeats the whole purpose of a vacation. Sure being with family is great but it can get hectic and chaotic. Vacations should be a time of relaxation and having your personal time. 

But this can get very difficult for young students who have responsibilities that naturally come with being the oldest or one of the oldest in the family. Not only can vacations be stressful but they can get boring.

Many families have a specific place where they go to as their “vacation spot.” That can be fun at times but going for every vacation it can get repetitive. Sure it’s great to go somewhere you love but it gets less exciting every year. 

On the other hand traveling is a different experience for many reasons. Traveling is about the place, learning new things, seeing new places, etc. 

Traveling to South Africa and visiting famous places like Table Mountain.

Although I will say traveling is not always relaxing. You’re experiencing new things and might feel uncomfortable at certain times , but that’s what gets you out of your comfort zone and out of your daily routine.

You try to immerse yourself in different cultures, foods and people. Traveling is very exciting but can be nerve racking for many.

Traveling can seem different for many people. For parents who have young kids, traveling might not be in the books for awhile.

Keep in my mind if you do travel you also have to take care of young kids who need assistants 24/7. Therefore, parents might try to avoid traveling until the children are a bit more older and they can take care of themselves.

Going to a foreign country without speaking the language can be frustrating , but that’s part of the whole experience. Traveling might seem scary but it is truly an experience everyone should have.

Traveling might not be for everyone but you never know until you try it.