Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

The Climate Crisis

How climate change is effecting the world…
The Earth
Stephanie Osmanski
The Earth

The environment has been a big topic of discussion since the late 19th century with it slowly being hurt by pollution and people taking resources away that they don’t give back. Probably, the biggest problem with the environment is the climate change or global warming.

The earth has risen almost two degrees Fahrenheit since the mid-1970s, which might not seem like a lot, but the Earth is expected to rise almost ten degrees by 2050.

Climate change has had the biggest impact on the Arctic regions with the average glacier shrinking by almost 60 feet in depth. The area covered by sea ice has shrunk by nearly 40%. Also, there are effects even outside the Arctic with the average snow amount of snow falling being 20% less and melting 25% faster since 1970.

Climate change impacts
The natural disasters that can occur more frequently from climate change | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Global warming creates more natural disasters like increased wildfires and flooding is an increasing issue as our climate is changing. Compared to the beginning of the 20th century, there are both stronger and more frequent abnormally heavy precipitation events across most of the United States.

On the other hand, drought is becoming more common in general and especially in the western United States. Humans are using more water, especially for agriculture. Just like we sweat more when it is hot out, higher air temperatures cause plants to lose, or transpire, more water, meaning farmers must give them more water. Both show the need for more water in places where supplies are dwindling.

Climate change is not all bad, with the decrease in mortality from cold waves. Climate change has good short-term effects with farmers benefiting from the earlier onset of spring and a longer warm season meaning they can produce more crops. With more greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, it means that there could be no next ice age with temperatures being too high for the Earth to freeze over.

BMW plans to reduce CO2 emissions in vehicle life cycles by 40% by 2030 | Electrek

Although some good short-term effects of climate change might be good, scientists feel the long-term effects outweigh the short-term ones. This meaning we should try to reduce our carbon footprint.

Many manufacturing companies are trying to reduce their carbon footprint. The CEO of BMW saying that he wants to reduce the company’s footprint by close to 40% by 2030 and then continue to keep decreasing from there.

Even the U.S. is trying to reduce their footprint by 50-52% by 2030 with President Biden saying, “It’s not going to be easy to meet the Paris target, and it’s not going to be easy to meet whatever the next target is after that. But there’s a path here.” Yet, the renewable energy projects could flop, and the U.S could only reduce by only 29% so everyone needs to contribute for it to be successful

Although, climate change may seem like it has not affected us yet, it is important that we do our best to help the issue for the many generations to come after us for them to enjoy this planet.