Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

Memorable Fall Fun

What are you doing this Fall?
Mt. Hood Territory
You don’t have to be this little to enjoy pumpkins!

When you think of fall, New England foliage definitely comes to mind. The colors here are like no other. People from all over come to see the beautiful pops of yellow, orange, and red.

Still, what is there to do other than stare at the trees? Plenty.

Route 100 Vermont: This scenic route is roughly 216 miles long, Vermont’s longest state highway, and it’s not only famous for its beautiful landscapes and foliage. On this road trip through the state’s center, there are many places to stop and soak in all that Vermont has to offer. If you want to stick to nature, visit Mount Snow, Moss Glen Falls, and the town of Stowe. You can also stop in some unbelievably pretty towns with lots to do: Newport, Waterbury, and Mad River Valley. This beautiful trip is definitely worth it; the popping colors and breathtaking stops will leave you with lifelong memories. 

Foliage Train in NH! The colors cannot be beaten!

Winnipesaukee Foliage Train: The train is located in the village of Meredith and offers 1-2 hour rides. The train is vintage style and travels along the western shore of New Hampshire’s largest lake from Meredith to Weirs Beach then to Lakeport and back. You will also be given the opportunity to shop at their gift shop which has snacks, drinks, and apparel. This mystical train ride will undoubtedly be an experience to remember.

Trip to Salem: The Massachusetts town of Salem is full of history especially when it comes to October. The Salem Witch Trials are a popular topic that attracts people worldwide. In October especially, you can see the Witch Trials walking tour, the Salem Witch Museum, the Hocus Pocus house, and the Salem Pioneer Village. These are only some of the many things to do here, this will definitely be a day or weekend to remember.

The Witch House, Salem, MA, provides a spooky history, especially before Halloween.

Amusement Parks: New England is home to some amazing amusement parks. Six Flags New England, and Canobie Lake Park are known for their fright feats during the spooky season. They decorate the parks and even have haunted houses. Most of the apparel and food is also representative of the fall theme, with poison caramel apples and an October Fest. You can also see actors dressed in costumes that are interactive. They will come up to you! This night will definitely deliver a good scare, no matter the park. 

Whale Watching: What better way to spend your time than to go whale watching? New England offers some of the best whale watching in the country and one of its peak seasons happens to be October. Some popular places to whale watch include: Newport, Cape Cod, and Mid-coast Maine. This memorable day trip will leave you with a lifelong souvenir. 

Douglas Apple Picking provides fantastic opportunities to enjoy getting fresh fruit!

Apple and Pumpkin Picking: You can find apple orchards, and pumpkin patches almost everywhere in New England. What better way to get you in the fall mood than a nice crisp apple and carving a pumpkin with family? There are some fantastic orchards right here in Massachusetts, Douglas Orchard & Farm is one of my personal favorites. This is a local farm that grows a variety of plants and livestock. They also have an amazing little gift shop where you can find their homemade unpasteurized apple cider and fresh apple cider donuts. Unfortunately, they do not have pumpkins but thankfully there are plenty of options like West End Creamery. While you are here picking your pumpkin you can also enjoy ice cream, mini golf, and their famous fall festival!

No matter what you want to do, you cannot go wrong with outdoors fun in New England in the fall!