Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

Effects of Acid Rain in Waters

What does it do to our water?
Acid+rain.+
Arcadia Blog
Acid rain.

To start, acid rain is any form of rain that includes acidic elements. Usually, it occurs when sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released into the atmosphere and are carried by the wind. They then combine with the moisture in the air and eventually fall to the ground in the form of rain.

Acid rain cycle (Climate and Weather )

The issue with acid rain falling into the ocean is that the rain permanently affects a body of water, turning that body of water acidic. The acid can, also, affect the animals living in it by affecting the gene frequency in newly born animals and the population ratio in the water. 

Other issues include the pH level in soils and bodies of water etc. When the pH levels of an ecosystem are lowered the environment becomes a mess. Plenty of fish are not able to survive in an acidic environment, and along with that, plants absorb some of the acidity, making them not edible and toxic to humans. 

This rain can affect the photosynthesis of trees, not just aquatic life. The tree’s leaves can be disrupted and the protective layer destroyed, furthermore, ending up killing the trees to a certain degree. 

In the Past 

Over time the emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides have decreased. Seeing as the world’s population significantly increases yearly, people have started to show their concerns for the planet. In 1999, the amount of both of these substances was officially much more in the northeastern area of America than by 2021. 

In addtion, the percentage of people who care about the environment is “Around three in four adults (74%)” 

Even so, the bulk of acid rain is caused by human activity and daily things such as driving in any vehicle or just burning fossil fuels in general is to blame. From the oil burning to having vehicles and heavy manufacturing equipment, acid rain comes primarily from humans. 

What can people do to continue to help?

In 1970, the United States Congress passed the Clean Air Act, to regulate acid rain emission. In 1990, it was strengthened. The Clean Air Act actually worked to help the environment just a little more, “as sulfate and nitrate rates in precipitation were cut by 40% by the new millennium.”

In this act the government authorized state regulations on how much pollution stationary and mobile sources emit. From strong inferences, one could believe that if the people wanted to continue on with this type of act, it would help with the acid rain a little bit more than before. 

Even so, acid rain is difficult to get rid of: “Federal reports have suggested the Environmental Protection Agency, in particular, is having some trouble reducing the amount of acid rainfall.” Apparently, stopping the rain is difficult. 

Is acid rain harmful to humans?

Sulfur dioxide and Nitrogen oxide.

The chemicals in acid rain, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, when encountered within the air can be extremely harmful. 

When these chemicals react with particles in the air, they can create harmful substances that a human could then inhale. These particles have been the root of many problems such as heart attacks, breathing problems especially in people with asthma, and lung diseases. Heart attacks could be deadly in some cases, but mainly for people with heart issues.

In addition to this, nitrogen oxide harms the ozone which also in turn, could harm a humans health status. 

In conclusion, the people are trying harder to help the environment, but the acid rain harming the animals that live in bodies of water.