Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

Legendary Football Coaches Fired

The End of an Era
New York Post
Some NFL coaches that were fired

The NFL season came to an end for many teams that are out of the postseason. This means lots of those teams will be firing their coaches since they didn’t reach the expectations set before the season. 

Many coaches have been fired so far including some legendary coaches like Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick. Many other coaches were fired like Arthur Smith, Mike Vrabel, Ron Rivera, and more.

Coach Pete Carroll (Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports)

Pete Carroll had been the head coach for the Seattle Seahawks for 14 years. He helped Seattle reach the playoffs 10 out of the 14 years he was there for and also won one Super Bowl with them. Carroll installed a winning culture to the city of Seattle and earned a 137-89-1 as the head coach of the Seahawks.

Bill Belichick is considered one of the greatest coaches of all time and had a legendary career as the head coach of the New England Patriots. Belichick is second on the all-time NFL coaching wins list with 333 and has 31 postseason head coaching victories which is the most all-time. Belichick led the Patriots to a record of 266-121 at the helm of the team.

Belichick won six Super Bowls with the Patriots and Coach of the Year three times. Belichick coached with the Patriots for 24 years and helped create one of the greatest dynasties of all time. 

Coach Nick Saban (Kyusung Gong/Associated Pres)

The football world didn’t only lose legendary NFL coaches, College Football also lost a legend. Former Alabama head coach Nick Saban announced his retirement shortly after his team lost in the Rose Bowl to Michigan. 

Nick Saban is considered the greatest college football coach in history. Saban ended his career at Alabama with a 206-29 record all-time. Saban also won ten SEC championships along with seven national championships.

The football world has lost many legendary coaches this year and a wave of younger generation coaches are paving the path for the future of football.