Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

Breast Cancer Awareness

What is Breast Cancer, and what are the affects of it?
Breast Cancer Awareness
https://premierfamily.net/october-is-national-breast-cancer-awareness-month/

Every type of cancer can be just as scary as any other, but the most common cancer in the US is breast cancer. Breast Cancer Awareness month is October, and it aims to promote more knowledge and prevention about this disease.

According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, breast cancer is a disease where cancerous cells in the breast grow out of control.

It is important to get checked if you notice any symptoms of breast cancer regardless of your age or gender.

Now, you might think breast cancer can only occur in women, but men can get breast cancer as well. It is not super common, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Every year about 2,670 men get breast cancer as stated in Health Talk as compared tp one out of eight women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.

There are two types of breast cancers, the first being invasive ductal carcinoma. Invasive ductal carcinoma is the most common type of breast cancer.

This type of breast cancer is when cancer cells grow in the duct, and then, spread around other parts of the breast tissue. This type of breast cancer can also occur in men. 

The other type of breast cancer is invasive lobular carcinoma, which cancer cells grow in the lobules and spread to nearby tissue that can spread around parts of the body. Breast cancer in men and young women is not talked about enough and needs more recognition.

It’s very rare for men to be diagnosed with breast cancer, but that doesn’t mean it should be less talked about. One out of 100 men are found with breast cancer in the US. The most common type of breast cancer in men is invasive ductal carcinoma and ductal carcinoma in situ, also known as DCIS. 

The overall survival rate for breast cancer in men is 84% according to the Cancer Center. Just because it’s not common for men to get cancer, doesn’t mean men should feel confident that it won’t happen. 

It is important to get checked if you notice any symptoms of breast cancer regardless of your age or gender. Not only do men get cancer, but young women can as well. While it’s fairly rare for young women, it definitely can happen. 

Only 5% of breast cancer cases occur with women under 40. Although, finding cancer at an early stage is a good thing, it can be more difficult due to breast tissue density. Routine screening is not recommended at a young age because the treatment can affect fertility and is less likely to respond to the treatment. 

Also, young women tend to ignore warning signs such as lumps, unusual discharge, etc. Doctors might tell them to take the “wait and see” approach, which is not ideal for many reasons. The good news is that if you’re diagnosed with breast cancer at an early stage you have a 90% survival rate. 

Treatment wise it all depends on the type of breast cancer you have and how far along you are. Types of treatment can include surgery, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, etc. The most common treatment is surgery, but after surgery most people do other treatments as well. 

Not only is it important to be aware and support breast cancer awareness, but to be informed as much as possible.  If you’re interested in learning more and taking action visit the CDC website for more information. 

View Comments (1)