Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

Trump left off the Ballot

The effects of the 14th Amendment
(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Did Trump incite rebellion? Opinions vary as they usually do with the former president.

Former president Donald Trump has been barred from running for president in two states, drawing strong responses from both sides of the political spectrum. The two sides of the argument focus on whether it is unconstitutional to disqualify a political candidate or whether it is justified by the 14th Amendment. Let’s explore both sides of the argument. 

Donald Trump served as America’s 45th President from 2016 to 2020 and is once again running for president. Two states, Colorado and Maine, have disqualified him from running in their states, citing the 14th amendment for Trump’s accused participation in the January 6th, 2021, Capitol attack. 

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment is often called the disqualification amendment. (freespeechforpeople.org)

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment sets the legal grounds for disqualifying a presidential candidate, the reason being that they engaging in insurrection or gave aid to people who have committed or attempting insurrection, which is the act or an instance of revolting especially violently against civil or political authority or an established government. 

Based on the interpretation from Colorado and Maine, President Trump must have appeared sympathetic or friendly to those individuals who entered the Capitol. Whatever their intent was is subjective and disputed; however, President Trump, in his own words that day, certainly did not help his case for not aiding. He could be heard saying things like stop the stealing of the election, repeatedly claiming election fraud, and prompting other undemocratic ideas and theories. President Trump was also heard telling his supporters to “fight like hell” and to march to the capitol to stop the steal.

Whether this should be classified as inciting rebellion is a matter of opinion and is not the point of this article. What matters, though, is that the two states in question did believe President Trump’s actions violated the 14th Amendment. 

This map shows states in which Trump was or might be disqualified. (New York Times)

The other argument is the idea that this disqualification is unconstitutional or is a political prosecution. This point of view centers around rights violations, which will now be covered. In the United States, we are a country built on individual rights and freedoms. 

How is it right or fair for a person to be denied the right to run for president in any state? Limiting a person’s right to run could or should be perceived as oppressive. Have either Colorado or Maine fully proved that President Trump is guilty of insurrection? Is this merely a method to keep a viable candidate off the ballot and increase the odds of victory and power to one political side? These are the questions and point of view expressed by many in this country.

Some people claim this is political persecution and a measure to “silence” President Trump. He has appealed the decision to an appeals court and is awaiting a response at the time I am writing this. Whatever the legality of the ruling or whether you believe this ruling to be right or wrong, this ruling serves as a significant milestone in our nation’s history and the effects of the decision will surely be heard for a while.

15
View Comments (15)