Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

Fall Sports Preview: Football

Looking to rebound from a tough finish
Worcester T&G
Can the football team rebound this year?

The Sutton-Douglas football team is ready for a big upcoming season. Having gone a respectable 4-7 last season, the team hopes to improve this year.

I spoke with the head coach, Pat Moseley, about the upcoming season, what he and the team are doing to prepare, and what to expect from the team this fall.

Coach Moseley doesn’t expect many new players and is expecting the senior class to have a strong presence on the team. With their experience from last year, Coach is hoping this group steps up this season.

The core of the coaching staff is returning, except for a new offensive line coach. Coach Moseley is expecting big things from the offensive line this upcoming season, with many three year returning players and not having lost a lot of starters, and he hopes that the new coach can help the linemen work together to make the offense more productive. 

According to Coach Moseley, the team had a busy off season this summer to get ready. The team was in the weight room lifting three times a week, with an emphasis on getting bigger, faster and stronger. The team also participated in a passing league with multiple town teams hosted by Sutton.

Captains have not been picked yet. Coach Moseley is waiting to see who shows and puts in the most effort in the pre-season practices and who the leaders look to be leading up to the preseason scrimmages before making that decision.  

Finally, when asked about the upcoming schedule, Mosely hopes to go on a week to week basis and look for consistency. He believes the hard work put in before the season starts will lead to wins on game days. 

For the latest schedule, please go to ArbiterLive.