Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

The Importance of Meal Prepping

Meal preps are a great way to start eating healthier

I’m sure many of us have those days where we get home from work, school, etc. and are too tired to cook. Therefore you just go the easy route and order takeout. 

But imagine coming home to a cooked meal already waiting for you. No need to waste money on fast food when you have a healthier option at home.

This is why meal prepping is super important and beneficial. 

For the ones who don’t know what meal prepping is, it is when you prep your food for the week. So your home cooked meals are all set and you don’t have to think about what you will have for dinner.

Meal preps will look different for everybody. It is based on their cooking abilities, personal goals, food preferences, etc. 

According to Harvard T.H Chan the benefits of meal prep includes saving money, time, and helping with weight control. 

Something I personally don’t look forward to is choosing what to eat every night. I never seem to know what I want and always end up choosing the same thing. 

Meal prepping can reduce that stress to avoid last minute decisions. It can help introduce you to new dishes you may never think about.

If your interested in meal prepping here’s some ideas on how to start: 

1. Choose a day of the week to plan your meals. You want to make sure your meals provide protein, grain, and vegetables. It’s important to know what you would like as leftovers. 
  2. After you have your meals all set, pick a day to go to the grocery store and cook. 
  3. After you’re done cooking, place each meal in a container and place it in the fridge. 

It might seem like a hassle but after you get used to it, you’ll notice how much time you saved. Not only does it benefit you with your schedule but also it’s much healthier. 

Once you get started then you can change different ingredients and get more comfortable with your meals. It’s all about starting and finding a balance. 

I strongly recommend meal prepping for everyone. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a “cheat meal” as some people call it. But it does put your health in a better state if you decide to start and can save you a lot of time during your day.