Dear America: should Bella have ended up with Jacob or stayed with Edward?

What if Edward and Jacob’s roles were reversed?

Summit Entertainment

Edward, Bella, and Jacob in Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2

Marley Tambling, Staff Writer

Dear America, have you ever wondered what it would be like if the roles between Jacob and Edward were switched? If Bella had chosen Jacob instead of Edward, would they have gotten married and had a child?

Jacob has said throughout the series that Bella would be better off with him than Edward. In the third film in the franchise, he says, “I’m exactly right for you, Bella. It would be as easy as breathing with me.” “You wouldn’t have to change for me, Bella, or say goodbye to anyone. I can give you more than him. I mean, he probably can’t even kiss you without hurting you.”

Jacob is also very protective of Bella. “I‘m gonna fight for you, until your heart stops beating.

He can also be really pushy, arrogant, and sarcastic. “I kissed Bella… and she broke her hand… punching my face. Total misunderstanding.” Sometimes he can’t deal with the fact that Bella chose Edward, and tries to tell Bella that she’s making the wrong decision. “She’s not sure what she wants.” (To Bella) “You need to hear the truth Bella, understand all your options. And you need to know… that I’m in love with you. And I want you to pick me instead of him.” 

Due to his jealousy and werewolf gene, he puts out a mean, hateful personality that resents vampires. “I didn’t want to kill girls… even vampire girls. Though I might make an exception for that blonde.”

I interviewed a student at SHS, and they said that Bella should’ve ended up with Jacob because “Jacob’s the sweet best friend that everyone is rooting for, and Bella seems to have more fun with him. Edward wants Bella to be safe, and he thought that Jacob would keep her safe.”

I interviewed another that was on team Edward, and they said that, “Bella never liked him in that way”, and that Bella “liked him as a brother.” They said that it would be an “interesting twist” if Bella ended up with Jacob instead of Edward.

He would also be good for Bella because meanwhile Edward is ice cold due to being a cold one, Jacob is very warm due to his internal wolf fur. In the third movie, Jacob comes and warms Bella up when she is in a tent with Edward, which is something that Edward can’t do because his skin is ice cold. “And let’s face it, I am hotter than you. 

He also wouldn’t have to worry about not drinking Bella’s blood all the time. Jacob wouldn’t have to worry about controlling his strength and hurting Bella. She wouldn’t have to think about turning into one so that they can spend forever together. 

Though Jacob loves Bella, he hasn’t imprinted on her, but refuses to accept the fact that he and Bella were not meant to be together. “It’s not like love at first sight, really. It’s more like… gravity moves. When you see her, suddenly it’s not the earth holding you here anymore. She does. And nothing matters more than her. And you would do anything for her, be anything for her… You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that’s a protector, or a lover, or a friend, or a brother.” 

Meanwhile, if Bella ended up with Jacob, the whole second half of the fifth book/movie in the franchise wouldn’t be as entertaining, especially when it comes to explaining how Jacob imprinted on Renesmee. If Bella had ended up with Jacob, he wouldn’t have Renesmee to imprint on. A lot of major plot points would be questioned if Bella ended up with Jacob. Would Edward ever get a mate? What would Jacob and Bella’s child be like? Would Jacob ever imprint? Would Edward ever get a mate? Would this end up raging a war with the Cullens and the Quilieutes? 

If Jacob and Bella did end up together, it would only be a matter of time until Jacob imprints on someone, and if he imprints on someone, then he will be compelled to leave Bella, and get together with that person eventually. 

If Bella ended up with Jacob instead of Edward, Edward might not be able to handle the heartbreak. He’d either move away with his clan and never be seen again, or he would keep fighting for Bella. If he kept fighting for Bella, he might eventually start a war between the two clans. If he stopped trying, he might move to a new town, or he could go to the volturi again, and try to get them to kill him. Then the Cullens would just tell her that he left. 

No matter what, it would definitely be interesting if Bella ended up with Jacob instead of Edward.