Sutton High News

The Student News Site of Sutton High School

Sutton High News

Sutton High News

New England EPA

The issues, changes, and reasons, for the Region 1 Environmental Protection Agency
%28EPA+logo%29
(EPA logo)

The Environmental Protection Agency, also known as EPA, is working to make our community better every day. There are many problems that can occur in our environment as far as keeping it clean, healthy, and improving knowledge of how to do so.

Region 1 of EPA in United States

New England, region one is our space, should be a main focus. This region includes Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. There are many ways that we can bring attention to the environmental issues within all of these spaces. Just some can include, collaborating with the community, government programs, and even non profit organizations to spread awareness. We can provide the resources and tools for this recognition to the topic. We as a community need to provide the help for progression to achieving this justice on our planet even more so than our region.

A way that speakers are spreading information is by helping to keep water clean is identifying priorities, especially, because water can become a big issue on the east coast. These consist of drinking water, storm water, wastewater, surface and groundwater. Some of the ways that EPA has been making an effort to this change is that in 1985, they joined two cities and an environmental group in a federal lawsuit to clean up the Boston Harbor. Their designs were funded: “Massive ongoing projects to continually improve water quality. in the harbor have resulted in untold economic and recreational advantages to the City of Boston and surrounding communities”

Mass. environment supported by the EPA

After speaking with Sutton High School’s Mrs. O’Neil, she shared very similar opinions on the EPA in Region One as well as Massachusetts. Mrs. O’Neil teaches the AP environmental science class that has a main focus unit on EPA, its benefits, and what it is doing in the world. 

Learning about environmental justice and protection is very important. There have been grants taken to improve these issues.  Sutton High School students truly enjoy the opportunity to take these classes and expand their knowledge in this field. 

EPA’s region map

The EPA has been working to enforce specific environmental laws, conduct of research, and even provides more resources to promote sustainability. It’s very important to have organizations in the Environmental Protection Agency to help out the environment for the future generations.